Banana Pancakes

About 3 months or so into Jeremy and I dating we went to a Jack Johnson concert in Bend, Or (my hometown). That was about 5 years ago and at that point I had never even heard of him. I fell in love and we went merchandise crazy with buying the cds and shirts after the concert was over. "Banana Pancakes" happened to be our favorite song and we used to play it all the time in our little town house in Bend while I was making Jeremy breakfast before he went to work. We loved to dance and sing the lyrics. The song was particularly fun when I was actually making him banana pancakes. I was reminded of this song, which unfortunately phased itself out over time, when we found ourselves waking up to a rainy day yesterday. To be clear, we don't ever really want to stay in bed all day. We are just very busy and on a day like yesterday it sounded pretty enticing. To set the scene yesterday I'll give you a play by play of what happened from the moment I first woke up.
1. Eyes open
2. Hear rain
3. Dog whining
4. Phone rings, business call, HAVE to take it

5. Put together an e-mail for caller
6. Start the most essential part of day: coffee
6. Smell coffee
6. mmmmmmm
7. Start breakfast for Jeremy and the dog
8. Start a fire in the fireplace
9. Get Jeremy out of bed
9. Climb back into bed

9. My spot is still warm even though it's chilly in the house
9. Lay and close eyes
10. Smell burning bacon/hear coffee pot go off/office phone rings/blackberry going off with emails

You know the type of day, right? When it is absolutely essential to be reminded by burnt bacon that you have things to do and there i
s not a moment to waste. As Jim Gaffigan puts it "bippity boppity bacon!!!" It was absolutely one of those days.

And in the words of Jack Johnson
The telephone singing, ringing, it's too early
Don't pick it up
We don't need to
We got everything we nee
d right here
And everything we need is enough
It's just so easy
When the whole world fits inside of your arms

Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm
Wake up slow, wake up slow

But baby, you hardly even notice
When I try to show you
this song
It's meant to keep you
From doin' what your supposed to
Like wakin' up too early
Maybe we could sleep in
I'll make you banan
a pancakes
Pretend like it's the weekend now
And we could pretend it all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment